Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Busy, Busy, Busy: The Huskers, Bowling, St. Patrick's Day, T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post, & Everything In Between

Busy, busy, busy is all I can say about the past few weeks. 

I have been completely booked every single day between my classes/homework, cheerleading, sorority activities, work, and my favorite.. Miss Omaha Appearances! Here is an update on a few of my recent appearances/activities!




A couple of weeks ago on Wednesday February 25th, I celebrated National Reading Day and read a short story to a class of 2nd graders at Everett Elementary here in Lincoln with a few other member from the Nebraska Spirit Squad. Then, on Thursday, February 26th I got to spend my evening with the wonderful people from Colombus, Nebraska as well as some members of the new Nebraska Football Coaching Staff! I got to meet and take pictures with Coach Riley as well as listen to him speak about the potential for the team this upcoming season. 

On February 28th, I stayed busy with multiple appearances in one day! In the morning I got to be a model in the Max I. Walker Ultra-Chic-Boutique Fashion Show that raised thousands of dollars for the Open Door Mission and the Lydia House. Over 3,000 dresses were donated to the event and the beautiful dress I got to model was raffled off to fundraise more money for this amazing cause. That afternoon I met with one of my sister's coworker's daughter and friend who are aspiring cheerleaders! I answered questions they had about cheerleading and gave them tips on ways to improve their skills. It was so much fun! Then, that night I was an emcee for the Junior Achievement Bowl-A-Thon where I got to hand out prizes, hold contests, and make connections with business men and women from the Lincoln area. While there I got to hang out with former Miss Nebraska, Kayla Batt, and former Miss Nebraska contestant, Jessica States. I am already loooking forward to these events next year!

Then, this past week on Monday the 2nd, I went bowling with my team during our normal practice time where I bowled a score 0f 117, a personal best! I will be perfecting my bowling skills here in the near future. 


On Tuesday, March 3rd I went to Omaha where I got to hang out at the La Vista IHOP for Free Pancake Day to help spread awareness of the life saving treatments of the Children's Miracle Network and to gather donations. I spent this time with one of my Miss Nebraska sisters, Miss Gering, Chrissy Townsend and her lovely parents! 


Then, the following morning at 8:30am on Wednesday the 4th, I was loaded on a bus to head to Chicago for the Women's Big 10 Basketball tournament! I got to spend two whole days shopping in the suburbs of Chicago, eating delicious cuisines from around the world, and of course cheering on the Husker Women's Basketball team with my best friends! The team won their first game with ease, but fell short to Iowa the second round of the tourney. We cheered out hearts out, and the girls played their hearts out! It was a great time! 


Since returning from Chicago, I have been busy studying for mid-term exams and am working hard to prepare for Miss Nebraska Orientation in a couple of weeks! Saturday, March 14th I will be in my first parade as Miss Omaha, as I participate in the St. Patrick's Day Parade! I will be the one wearing green ;) St. Patrick's Day is always a day I look forward to due to my Irish heritage.

Since winning Miss Omaha I have developed a new platform called "T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post" which promotes the positive use of social media. The positive use of social media entails submitting true, helpful, intelligent, necessary, and kind posts. The goal of my platform is to educate social media users about the effects their social media posts can have and about ways to use social media positively such as using it as a self-marketing tool. I also like to bring to light ways to keep personal information private and ways to prevent cyber-bullying.

A good way to decide whether or not something should be posted is to use the acronym T.H.I.N.K. 

What does "T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post" even mean?

T.H.I.N.K. is an acronym of 5 questions that I hope every social media user will ask themselves before making a post on social media.

     T   - Is it True?
     H  - Is it Helpful?
     I    - Is it Intelligent?
     N  - Is it Necessary?
     K - Is it Kind?


When a social media user asks themselves these 5 questions before posting, they can ensure their post is a positive use of social media! 

But.. what counts as social media?

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace, Snapchat, Vine, Pinterst, Yik Yak.. the list could go on forever. But technically, social media consists of, "Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to particpate in social networking."



Stay tuned for more posts about why it's important to "T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post!"


-Megan Gould, Miss Omaha 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment