Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Better Late Than Never: Cheerleading, T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post at Fillmore Central, Lip Sync Battle, and Miss America Serves Day!

It has been a couple weeks since I was last able to update my blog and that is because I have been crazy busy (as always) with school, cheerleading, work, and of course, being Miss Omaha! Here is a snippet of what I have been up to since my last post.


Cheerleading
One of the highlights from the last couple of weeks has been cheerleading! At our last Monday practice of the year, our coach invited a Wildlife Rescue based in Lincoln to visit. We all took turns holding baby squirrels, raccoons, and mice, they were so cute! Then, on Saturday, April 11th, I spent the day in Husker Nation greeting fans, hanging out with my best friends, and cheering on the Huskers in front of over 76,000 people for the 2015 Spring Game! Before the game began, I got to attend the Teammates Pep Rally at Haymarket Park. Teammates is a mentoring program for youth that was founded by Tom Osborne. Teammates and their mentors from all over Nebraska attended the pep rally and I even got to see a lot of my friends from Alliance! My team and I led cheers of Go Team Mates! and did the Cha Cha Slide with some volunteers from the audience. Then, as the game began I got to see one of my Miss Nebraska Little Sisters, Bethany and her family! They made my day :). The next day, my parents were in town to attend the Cheer Xpress end of the year recital where they got to watch me coach my rec cheer classes and then we attended the Nebraska Spirit Squad End of the Year Banquet that night. The end of the year banquet is always a highlight to honor the graduating seniors and reminisce on the past season. I was so grateful my parents were able to make the trip from Alliance to join me! At the banquet I was honored to receive a High Academic Honors award for my grade point average. 

#THINKBeforeYouPost, 
Lip Sync Battle
On Friday April 17th, I got the chance to speak at Fillmore Central High School in Geneva, Nebraska to educate the students on how to use social media the right way and T.H.I.N.K. before they post. I spoke to the entire student body and then got to tour the school and visit some of the individual classrooms. I took pictures with many of the students who then posted them using the hashtag #THINKBeforeYouPost. That evening I was a part of my Greek Weekend Team's Lip Sync Battle and our team won second place from lip syncing and dancing to a mix of songs such as The Cheetah Girls, The Climb, and Domino. 

Tryouts & 
Miss America Serves Day
Then, when Saturday, April 18th rolled around it was time for Nebraska Cheer Tryouts and it was Miss America Serves day. Since I was at cheer tryouts during the day, I was unable to visit the Chilren's Hospital to deliver the baskets the Miss Nebraska Contestants made at orientation, but I did encourage doanations to the Children's Miracle Network and I raised double my goal! Cheer tryouts made for a busy weekend. Between performing the fight songs, jumps, kicks, and other dances in front of the judges, to a personal interview, to a 2-mile run, by Sunday night I was exhausted! We will find out who is on the new team on May 1st on Huskers.com. Lets keep our fingers crossed! :)

Looking Ahead
Tonight is Chi Omega's Spring Philanthropy at Red Mango here in Lincoln benefitting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation, and the following week will be busy with final preparations, mock interviews, talent practice, a couple fashion shows, being on TV (be sure to watch the KETV weekend morning show this Saturday), a camping trip, and a visit the the Children's Hospital in Omaha! 

Stay tuned for updates!

T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post Tip of the Week
(Here's two tips since I am behind!)

-Be sure to T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post because once you post something on social media, you lose control of where it goes and it can never truly be deleted. Watch the following video to see how true this is!



-What you post on social media is like an elevator button. It can take you up or it can take you down, but this is completely 100% in your control. Make sure your social media posts are only going to take you up!


P.S. If you haven't already, check out my Miss Nebraska Contestant feature written by the amazing Brandi Petersen! "She Don't Coast" can be found at:


-Megan Gould, Miss Omaha 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment