Friday, April 3, 2015

Spring Break: Miss Omaha takes Alliance, Nebraska and Miss Nebraska Orientation

Spring 'Break'


I recently arrived back in Lincoln from over a week of spring break. But, I use the term break lightly. I used my week off from school to be productive and get a lot accomplished for Miss Nebraska. I gave a platform presentation to the cheer team of Alliance High School where I emphasized the importance of keeping their social media clean in order to be a positive role model for the many young girls who look up to them and in order for them to be a good representation of the AHS Cheer Program. I was also a judge for their tryouts a couple days later where I got to have a part in selecting the newest members of the AHS Cheer Program for the 2015-2016 school year. It is always so strange being on the judging side of tryouts becuase I have been the one trying out so many times. 



I also made an appearance at the Alliance Immanuel Lutheran Elementary School where I visited all of the classrooms from Pre-School to 4th Grade. I spoke with students about the Children's Miracle Network, helped the students craft paper cranes, and answered the students' many questions about the Miss America Organization and why I get to wear a crown on my head. The kiddos were so cute! Additionally, I was out and about selling advertisements to many of my greatest supporters from Alliance, I worked on polishing my talent, and I completed over 40 pages of paperwork for Miss Nebraska! Oh, and did I mention I had homework to do over break too? 

I finished up my Spring Break in North Platte, Nebraska for Miss Nebraska Orientation. While there, I got to spend a few days with my host family and life-long friends Cheryl, Dale, Gabby and Kim Hall. I also participated in workshops, mock interviews, talent practice, and met my little sisters for Miss Nebraska week! My little sister's names are Ella and Bethany and they are so much fun! I attended a neon dance party with Ella the first night of orientation and met Bethany and her family the next day. At orientation we filled baskets which will be delivered to the families at Children's Hospitals for Miss America Serves Day on April 18th. I provided crossword and soduke puzzle books for the baskets.


This week I have been working hard in the gym and in my classes. On Tuesday, I worked out in Memorial Stadium with my friend and teammate, Courtney and we climbed over 560 stairs! It is hard to complain about working out when you are in the same place Husker Nation gathers most Saturdays of the Fall. AND speaking of football, I am so excited to be cheering at the Spring Game next Saturday, April 11th. My family will be in town and the next day we will attend the Nebraska Spirit Squad End of the Year Banquet and the Cheer Xpress End of the Year Recital where I will be alongside my two Rec Cheer classes as they perform for all of their friends and family. 

I am looking forward to school visits and various other appearance to come this month! Stay tuned :)

T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post Tip of the Week

Earlier this week I came across an article on Twitter that is the epitome of my platform, T.H.I.N.K. Before You Post. You can read the article here: 



This article explains how various college athletic departments monitor and restrict student-athletes' social media accounts. Student-Athletes are in the public spotlight and must be held to high standards and be a good representation of themselves and the institution they represent. The student athletes can lose playing time, lose scholarships, be dismissed from their team, and even kicked out of their school due to their posts on social media. As a member of the Nebraska Spirit Squad my social media accounts are monitored and I sign a contract promising that I will be aware of what I post and that I will be a positive representation of myself, the team, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. If anybody has any doubts of whether or not what they post on social media can affect their future this article proves that what is broadcasted for the world to see DOES matter. This article is relevent to everybody, not just student-athletes. Every social media user needs to be responsible and hold themselves to a high standard to use social media as a way to be a poitive representation of themselves. 


-Megan Gould, Miss Omaha 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment